The month of December is always packed with holiday parties and events. With more food allergies and intolerances on the rise, it’s not always so easy to put together a crowd-pleasing menu. But if you plan in advance, you can come up with a nutritious and delicious spread that will satisfy all your guests, including those who are on a gluten-free diet.
Whether I’m hosting dinner or a cocktail party, I like to include a variety of dishes that make up a balanced plate, including vegetables, fruits, whole grains, protein, healthy fat, and some low-fat dairy too. Personally, I’m a big fan of small bites since I always like to try lots of different foods.
Here are Some of my Favorite Appetizers to Share over the Holidays – and They are All Gluten Free!
- Soup shots: Serve shot glasses of seasonal pureed soups like butternut squash soup, mushroom soup, or this sweet and savory parsnip pear soup.
- Vegetables & dip: A vegetable crudités platter is always appreciated. Include a variety of colorful vegetables like sliced bell peppers, blanched broccoli and snap peas, and baby carrots, and serve with a calcium-rich cucumber yogurt dip.
- Stuffed endive spears: Use endive spears as a scoop for nutrient-rich fillings like I do with these Lemon Hummus Endive Boats with Pomegranate Seeds.
- Fish dishes: Omega-3 rich fish like tuna and salmon make pretty, flavorful, and nutritious hors d’oeuvres when served as tartar or ceviche. Try my Fresh Salmon Ceviche with Cucumbers and Radishes or Gluten-Free Salmon Cucumber Bites.
- DIY flatbread pizzas: Dedicate an area of the kitchen for DIY pizzas using gluten-free flatbreads and an assortment of toppings like tomato sauce, shredded cheese, olives, sautéed mushrooms and onions, and sliced lunchmeat (try Land O’Frost’s Simply Delicious line for lower sodium options).
- Kebab options: Break out the indoor grill pan and have fun making kebabs with different meats and vegetables. Or make dessert kebabs with fruit and cubes of angel food cake – bonus points if you serve with a bowl of melted chocolate sauce for dipping!
Have fun experimenting in the kitchen and you’ll have a menu everyone is sure to enjoy. Your holiday party will be a hit!